Malcolm Lyons & Brivik Inc
Established in Johannesburg in 1965 Malcolm Lyons founded the first legal firm in South Africa to specialize in Personal Injury Law.
Recognised as leading lawyers for injured people in South Africa, Malcolm Lyons and Brivik Inc. have an unrivalled reputation for obtaining high levels of compensation for victims of accidents, medical malpractice or hospital negligence and for effectively handling unfair labour practices.
The firm has been responsible for some historic legal decisions.
- The precedent for the highest South African award for general damages for a road accident victim, approved by the Supreme Court of Appeal.
- A successful challenge to the validity of the clause in a motor vehicle hire contract disowning liability for defects in hired cars.
- The court decision giving the right to a mother to sue for damages for the wrongful birth of severely injured child.
- The rights of over 3000 South African victims of asbestos disease whose cases proceeded in the U.K:
- Protecting the rights of “whistle blowers” – the first to test the legislation in South Africa.
- Establishing the rights of unions in the workplace.
The practice has 6 lawyers and 2 candidate attorneys and is associated with firms in Europe and the USA who work with us to handle overseasclaims.
We attend national and international medical, medico-legal, personal injury and labour congresses. We have lectured on third party insurance and personal injury law for the Association of Law Societies since 1981.